Saturday 4 January 2014

Blog 1.Bangladesh.Monday 30th Dec to Fri 3rd Jan


You can see all photos if you search SCTTRAVEL on Instagram.
You can sponsor me by searching my name on uk.virginmoneygiving.com
All money raised goes to a homeless foundation in Richmond.


DHAKA-Narsingdi-Bhairab-Habiganj-SRIMONGAL.

RIDE TIME:18 HRS
DISTANCE:152 MILES.

Been out here a week now and settled into shape nicely.
The weather is perfect for cycling.It's been mid-twenties, each day brilliant sunshine.It cools right down at night.

From starting in Dhaka I've cycled up to Sylhet in the NE stopping in the following towns at night, Narsingdi, Bhairab, Habiganj and Srimongal.The accommodation is limited and has been really basic, costing as low as £2 a night.They're filthy places, so I'm sleeping on my camping mat in sleeping bag.On my first night there was an old man outside the hotel with a rat on a piece of string, like a dog lead.I didn't stroke it.Regularly getting woken through the night by prayers coming from street tannoy systems.
Camping in this region unfortunately doesn't seem to be an option.Although the whole route has been rural and the conditions perfect, I can't escape prying eyes.If anyone sees me pitching a tent they'll soon be over, and crowd will grow in minutes.I can't stop for a 5 minute break without 10-15 people gathering.Someone told me today there's a population of 160 million in Bangladesh, I think I've met most of them.
No tourists out here, which I think impacts well on how your treated by the locals.I never feel like there trying to rip me off.I don't think they've collared on to just how much they could charge for things.The only other westerners I've met were an Italian couple, also touring by bike, and an American Priest who's lived here 40yrs.

Food has been good.Through the day I'm eating lots of pastry and fruit.It's on sale every where street side.
Covered 160 miles up to this point about 40 a day.I've been eased into to it with very flat roads.I've been going slow, averaging 8mph.My knees were my main concern, but have been fine up to this point, although have put them through no real strain, certainly no demanding hill climbs, where I expect pain to settle in.I've been stretching as Dave my Physio advised.
The people out here are great.Very friendly and curious to know all about me.English isn't widely spoken, so our discussions don't last long.
Internet access out here is minimal, so blog updates may be slow.
I intend to cross over into Eastern India over the next week.
You should be able to access all my photos if you search my name on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment