Wednesday 15 January 2014

Blog 2. India. Sunday 5th to Wed 15th January



You can see all photos if you search SCTTRAVEL on Instagram.
You can sponsor me by searching my name on uk.virginmoneygiving.com
All money raised goes to a homeless foundation in Richmond.


SRIMONGAL-Barleka-Karimanj-Silchar-Retzawl-Haflong-Dehangi-Umrangso-Jowai-Nyon'mai-SHILLONG.

Ride time:42hrs
Distance:341 miles
Total Distance:493 miles.

Sore an elephant in the street the other day which was pretty amazing.Gave the guy riding it some money which the elephant passed with its trunk.
Crossed over into India on Jan 6th.Very slow painful process.Took an hour of filling in forms either side of the boarder.
India seems just as chaotic, but English I think more broadly spoken.
Everyone in India very interested in my trip.The manager of the hotel my first night, bought me drinks and dinner with his mates and wouldn't take no money, room was free of charge and he directed me to a place for lunch the following day where I also couldn't pay.I'm getting pulled over a dozen times a day in some areas for people to have there photo with me.When I stop in a town I sometimes have people queuing up.I don't know if there genuinely interested in the trip or just want a photo with a white guy?
Had a rest day in Silchar.Made some friends there who showed me around their homes, cooked me food and showed me where they drink.Had a great time with them.One of them lives in Mumbai so should be able to meet again when I finish.
Moved into the Hills on the 9th.First tough riding conditions I've had.Long climes and very poor road surfaces.A lot of the riding was like 'off-road' terrain.Loose gravel, rocks, deep pits, and sand.Each passing truck left a train of dust so thick you couldn't see.
The scenery is changing for the better and the chaotic towns are now peaceful tribal villages.Tried to camp but was collared by to guys.They spoke a little English and said they'd put me up in there village for the night.They insisted on pushing my bike, which ain't easy, as we walked for 20minutes.The village, like all I'd seen in the hills was very basic, just a few dozen wooden huts made of bamboo with thatched roofing.I walked round the village with 'Singer' my new mate that night, čand spent the evening with his family.It's dark by 5pm and gets quite cold so everyone has fires inside for warmth.There's no running water, and electricity only comes on for a few hours a day, and even then it's temperamental.I let Singer and the local kids play with my Ipad which fascinated them.Singer wants to come to England to earn some decent money.He says they struggle to earn more than £2 a day here.
I played football with the kids in the morning whilst Singer insisted on cleaning my bike.I told him to just clean the chain and gears and not the frame, cos I like to watch the dirt build on the bike as the trip goes on.When I got back the whole bike was gleaming like brand new again.So much gets lost in translation out here, but he was proud of his work.
Moved on to Haflong where I Stayed with Singers brother and family.I forget his  name but he is a religious nutter.Very strong Christian beliefs.He is a talented artist though.He showed me some of his paintings.One of them was a picture of two halfs.One side heaven, and all the 'good things' in life which will help you find your path, and the other side hell with 'evil' things that must be avoided.He had a cinema pictured on the 'evil' side which I challenged him on, and he explained that 'where as it's not directly evil it can lead to evil things'.I just smiled, nodding, thinking, if he new what I get up to on the weekends he'd murder me in my sleep! I left at 12 noon the following day after he'd taken me round town showing me off to all his religious mates like a trophy.I must of met 20 different people for a few minutes at a time durning my short stay with him.One Priest he introduced me to gave me a five hundred page bible.Just the sought of 'small pack, light weight' thing I need to carry on the bike.I wanted to ask him for a tenner so I could 'download' it on 'iBooks' instead, but I don't think he'd of seen the funny side.Jokes aside his family looked after me well and I was greatful.
Had a couple of great nights camping since being in the hills, been lighting small fires, eating dried noodles, cos the're so easy to prepare, and drinking rum.Small bottle of rum cost 40p.
Staying in a good hotel in Shillong at the moment, and will soon be leaving the hills and moving on to Guwati.Be nice to freshen up.Haven't had a good wash for over a week.
Legs feel strong at the moment and suffering no worrying aches whilst riding.Slight muscular pain in right calf but nothing that courses concern.Knees are a little sore climbing stairs but fine on the bike.Fitness strengthening by the day.

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing, Seb. Such an astonishing thing to be doing. So glad it's going well and you're meeting such interesting and nice people along the way.

    ReplyDelete